In which we face inevitable sadness and patch a leaky boat

I'll lead with the hardest part.

Foxie Loxie   March 28, 2014 - June 18, 2026


Foxie Loxie, stealer of beans and cough drops, the most charming little friend ever, died suddenly a few weeks ago.  His cheeky naughtiness made every day brighter and I will never stop missing him.  We had so many tiny adventures together--from years of hanging out in ridecamps to years of planting and harvesting the Haiku Farm gardens together.  

There are many Shelties in this world, but only one Foxie Loxie Pants on Fire MacFeagle.

But the world does not stand still while I cry.  


Our friends at Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue warned that they rarely have Shelties seeking homes these days, and yet...


The Dread Pirate Buttercup o'Noodles



This big banana needed a soft landing.  Her owners were trying to parent a newborn and care for an active 2.5-year-old Sheltie, and the situation was just not working well for anybody. 

So now she lives with us.

Buttercup is BIG for a Sheltie--nearly 40 pounds!--but is a gentle caretaking soul.  She plays very soft chase games with Pooh Bear early in the morning and late in the evenings when temperatures are cooler and he won't overheat, always running just barely faster than him so he won't get discouraged.  





She chases balls and apples, which is handy during apple-culling season.  

And every morning around 5am she very....quietly...sneaks...onto...the...bed  without waking anybody up, and stays there until the alarm goes off.  

It doesn't fix anything, but extra joy is never a bad thing and this dog has a bunch of that.


In Dragon News, she is lame.  

She was lame last winter--sore tendons in the right rear leg-- and we successfully rehabbed that.  But right around the time that Fox died, the wheels came off the horse, too.

According to the vet, this is not due to any mis-management or trauma; rather, it's a result of this horse having lived that life.  

And it has been a heckuva life, by all counts.  

TO BE CLEAR she is not done living her life.  But her retirement is now complete and official.  

My last photo from the saddle, May 2026


We have a treatment plan (a change in shoeing protocol combined with acupuncture and different pain meds) to keep her comfortable, and we will monitor her quality of life carefully.

We know that she is a "leaky boat" and we will patch the leaks as best we can until we can't.





Comments

  1. A hard year for so many. So sad about Foxie Loxie and Fiddle. Happy for the new kid who has landed the best home. Sending you love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the new dog doing? How is Fiddle? I'm re-reading my favorite book of all time, Lad, a dog, by Albert Payson Terhune, illustrated by my favorite horse artist, Sam Savitt. It's about Collies. And I googled if the book is available in German, and it is. And the dog on the cover is not a Collie. It's a Sheltie. *sigh* I was in America in August and cleaned out my things from my mom's house, where I found this book. It's so old it has an elementary school library card inside, (Brighton ES?) with little kids' names (first names only lol) and the dates of library check out. 1974, etc. I was one of those kids who wrote her name on the card and gave it to the librarian as collateral....I wonder how schools do it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should probably write a whole post to update? But the short answers are:
      Buttercup is hilarious.
      Fiddle is less-lame.
      Lad, a dog by APT was wonderful (my ancient copy definitely has a rough collie on the cover).
      Schools use a barcode system to check out books now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.