In which I answer some questions, and you can answer some questions too

$900 Facebook Pony started it.

lytha in Germany kept it going.

Now it's my turn.

1.   Why horses? Why not a sane sport, like soccer or softball or curling?
I guess it's like asking a left-handed person why they choose left-handed scissors. 

You know there are other choices, right? 
And you know that most people don't think your choice is the most sensible, right? 
And you know your life would be a lot easier if you made more sensible choices, right?

Right?  Right?  Right?

"To horse or not to horse?"  That is not a reasonable question.


2.    What was your riding “career” like as a kid?

Pony camp, friends' horses, catching rides whenever, wherever.  And lots and lots of books.

Never enough to satisfy me.

Midnight, a pony camp pony.  She was adorable.




3.   If you could go back to your past and buy ONE horse, which would it be?  

If I could get Story back again, I would.  I borrowed a lot of wonderful horses before (and after) I met her, but she was the most special.  The day I bought her, I told her that I would keep her for the rest of her life, and I did.  

Nope, this really isn't Fiddle!  It's Story.

She's been gone almost 12 years and I still miss her...but I wouldn't trade away Fiddle to get Story back.  Story was the best possible horse at that time, and the Dragon is the best possible horse for now.

That was then.  This is now.



4.  What disciplines have you participated in?
Endurance, of course. 
A couple of CMO events (I'd like to do more, those are fun). 

Backcountry riding.  

Sisters Wilderness

Dressage lessons (but not competitions). 

This is amazingly fun to ride.

Goofin' around (advanced edition).

If you wear this stupid outfit, I'll give you a cookie, okay?
Okay.



5.   What disciplines do you want to participate in some day?
I'd like to try some kind of obstacle course event.  

And I still want to do the Cross-State Ride--maybe 2019?

I need to do this ride someday!


6.   Have you ever bought a horse at auction or from a rescue?
Story came from the racetrack--I got there a day ahead of the meat buyer.  They had three horses scheduled for the kill truck, and I could only take one.  


When it's time to get another horse, I'll go get another off-track standardbred.



7.   What was your FIRST favorite horse breed – the one you loved most as a kid?

The magickal flying kind.  
Strawberry/Fledge = swoon.


8.    If you could live and ride in any country in the world, where would it be?

Narnia.

Although I hear the riding in Botswana is pretty amazing.  I'd go there, definitely. 
And Mongolia.  And maybe Italy?  


9.    Do you have any horse-related regrets?

I wish, wish, wish I'd known enough to spay Fiddle sooner than I did.  She was telling me with all the ways she knew that she was in pain, and I didn't see it...until I did see it.  

She was angry because I didn't understand what she was telling me.  Now I know.


I wish I'd seen it years earlier.


10.  If you could ride with any trainer in the world, ASIDE from your current trainer, who would it be?


Dale Evans and Buttermilk


Here's why:




The story is about 30 minutes long, but it will absolutely make you smile.



11.  What is one item on your horse-related bucket list?  

Tevis.


someday, someday.



12.  If you were never able to ride again, would you still have horses?

I made the same promise to the Dragon that I made to Story, all those years ago.  So, she has a home for life.  

And I'm pretty sure I've got at least one more Standardbred left in me.

And Standardbreds are excellent driving horses....



13.  What is your “biggest fantasy” riding goal?

Visit lytha in Germany, borrow a Traber (German STB) and ride an endurance ride with her there.  Santa Jim and lytha's man J could crew.

Go big or go home, right?


14.  What horse do you feel like has taught you the most?  
They've all taught me so much.  

I guess Fiddle is probably the one who has taught the most, because she's still teaching, and I'm still learning.


She never stops being Gigantic.




15.  If you could change one thing about your current horse/riding situation, what would it be?

It would not be November.


Rain, with 8 months of showers, dripping, drizzle and wetness in the forecast.




16.  If you could compete at any horse show/venue in your home country, where would it be?

I'd love to ride more outside my region.  I've done some rides in Canada, and those are a blast, so I'd cheerfully return.  But also, maybe the east coast?  I heard a rumor that there are lots of standardbreds over there...



17.  If you could attend any competition in the world as a spectator, what would be your top choice?

Mongolian Derby!  Because then I'd be in Mongolia.  


18.  Have you ever thought about quitting horses?

Nope.  (sorry, Mom)



19.  If you could snap your fingers and change one thing about the horse industry, what would it be?

Take away money prizes for all events.  

There, I fixed it.


20.  What’s the dumbest horse-related thing you’ve done that actually turned out pretty well?

I bought a horse when I could barely afford my mortgage payment.  
It was the smartest dumb thing I've ever done.


21.  As you get older, what are you becoming more and more afraid of?

Gravity.  




After almost 13 years (!!!) together, the Dragon and I are pretty good dance partners, but the Earth never stops sucking.  


22.  What horse-related book impacted you the most?

Endurance 101.  :-)      



Learning enough to write the book without being able to read the book first was a huge undertaking.  

Writing it taught me even more.


23.  What personality trait do you value most in a horse and which do you dislike the most?

I do love a sensible horse.  


On the Arab, this tunnel was a Big Deal.
On the STB, it was NBD.


24.  What do you love most about your discipline?  

Endurance takes me (and my horse) places we would never see otherwise


and we get to go there with people (and horses) we love.





25.  What are you focused on improving the most, at the moment?

Myself.  I've been spending lots of time at the gym, getting stronger.  

I'd like to say I'm also carefully watching what I eat, and steadily losing weight...but, no.  

I'm not any thinner, but I am a lot stronger now.

Okay, everybody else, it's your turn!  

Copy the questions, paste in your own answers, and ping me so I know where to look.  Wheee!

Comments

  1. Love these blog hops! And we should go do the Mongol Derby together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cover for Magician's Nephew, I'd never seen that one. I must admit it was my favorite in the series, even more than The Horse. If you come to Europe, we must go to Oxford and visit the CS Lewis/Tolkien pub!

    How have you never managed to do a CTR or Ride & Tie? There must be a reason....

    Fully understanding that 30% of a German endurance ride occurs on paved roads through towns, you'd still want to do it? Wow. Also, how sweet of you: ) Please bring an American truck and horse trailer! I dreamed of CMO last night. It was very hard, waking up.

    You read Julie Suhr's book and *still* want to do Tevis? It cured me: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love Horse and His Boy also, of course. Toad's "other nickname was "Bree".

      I was signed up for R&T at My Adams many years (and 2 surgeries ago) but the ride got snowed out. We did a mock R&T at Don Betts' place that weekend instead!

      And Jim and I did "sweep" for a CTR at the tree farm once. Most boring 12 miles I'd ever ridden.

      I can ride roads. We train on armored logging roads all winter, and they aren't any softer than blacktop. I would totally do it with you. Find me a Traber...!

      Yes Tevis. I never claimed to be smart.

      Delete
  3. I second the Mongol Derby, definitely on my bucket list! As is a Standardbred too, sigh....
    http://weareontheloose.com/2018/11/09/so-many-questions/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts