In which we repair rot, rust, and other Swampish ravages of time

I bought my horse trailer, new, in 2004.

This little trailer can hold a LOT of stuff! (2010ish)

It was the single biggest solo purchase of my life...and, possibly, the most significant.

Owning a horse trailer meant freedom and independence. (Mostly independent, anyhow--I ended up borrowing Jim's truck to pull it for several years before I bought the truck from him). Having my own trailer meant I could ride my own horse whenever I wanted, without being dependent on the whims and schedules of other people.   It was--still is--a glorious feeling.

After all these years, I still cram it full of stuff for traveling (2019)


The trailer is now looking a bit worse for wear. I had originally thought that I would sell it, and maybe get something a little bigger and a little newer.

But this trailer has 2 big advantages over a bigger, newer trailer:
  1. Being little means I can park it anywhere. This is handy at crowded trailheads and ridecamps.
  2. It is paid for, and has been for a long time. That's...kinda nice.


So, instead of trading it in, I signed it up for a makeover!

When I was researching "trailer repair services," my options came down to two shops, both more than 100 miles away.  Not very convenient.  Also, they are super-busy this time of year and have a long wait list. 

So I hired...Santa!

aka "HF Handyman Solutions."

Tech work for Jim is a bit sparse in summer, so it makes sense to hire him to do the work if he has time. And there is plenty of work.  Here are some "before" pictures.

The floorboards on the driver side are still in good shape!  The boards on the
passenger side were (badly) replaced with non-pressure-treated wood a few years ago,
and need to be replaced properly now.

The "horse-butt wall", note the rust and shredded matting where Fee (and Hana, years ago) rest heels against the wall.

The stall divider has been rust-repaired before, needs repair and paint now.

This is ugly rust, but it's surface and not structural.

Unsightly, but not structural

Bottom of the tack room door is pretty trashed, will need new metal welded in place.



Here's a chunk of the diagonal wall that he cut out to show me.  Ugh.

Close-up of the cancerous rust.  This piece has been replaced by new steel tubing and sheet metal.

I have no skills at all to contribute to the project, other than the skill of "working to make money to pay for materials", so I am spending my energies in the garden instead.

If you know what triffids are, you'll know why the fast growth in the garden sometimes freaks me out.

Haiku Farm Garden Report

Sprouted, blossoming, fruiting:  EVERYTHING
Growing fast:  squashes, beans, sunflowers
We are eating:  peas, berries, rhubarb, greens, herbs, new potatoes, eggs


Comments

Popular Posts