In which I share a poem you don't know and a song that you do know

Daisies

At evening when I go to bed
I see the stars shine overhead;
They are the little daisies white
That dot the meadow of the Night.
And often while I'm dreaming so,
Across the sky the Moon will go;
It is a lady, sweet and fair,
Who comes to gather daisies there.
For, when at morning I arise,
There's not a star left in the skies;
She's picked them all and dropped them down
Into the meadows of the town.
--Frank Dempster Sherman




Jim and Hana, 2010




The Star 

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, 
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When this blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, through the night.

Then the traveller in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny spark;
He could not see where to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark
Lights the traveller in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

-- Jane Taylor

Comments

  1. oh my, you don't know this but J collects children's media, including Sesame Street. This is what affords us an apartment in Rome whenever we want, cuz he's friends with a popular cartoonist in Italy. Collecting and archiving old kids' shows, mostly educational, is his thing.

    We watch educational kiddy stuff regularly, you really should visit us, you'd love it.

    This week he showed me an old Sesame Street clip where Kermit helped ? formulate the rhyme to the song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was adorable, I'd forgotten it.

    I started singing the Sesame Street theme song and he looked at me funny, "I don't know that song." Right. In Germany, they switched the theme, and kicked out Oscar the Grouch, cuz someone living in a trash can was much more objectionable than to us Americans. (But naked bodies are in general A-OK.)

    I made up my own Sesame Street theme this week, exulting my affinity for clouds, "Cloudy day, chasing the sun away.."

    Then we came together over Kermit's "Like a diamond in a pie!" sketch and we've been laughing about it.

    If I were in America I would never go around cleaning up horse poop singing SUNNY DAY EVERYTHINGS A OK...but I have a culture buffer around me at all times. I can do almost whatever I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW78pdEYxhQ Kermit and Don Music do Twinkle Twinkle!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts