In which we celebrate Rain Day and there is a farm-wide photo dump

It's late October:  the Swamp should be well-soggy by now.


Inside Haenaheim, the beans, corns and sunflowers are finished, but the marigolds are still going.


Usually the fall (winter) rainy season begins around Labor Day, which is now 6 weeks past.  This year, we got our first real rain (after 100+ days of NONE) yesterday.

Pretty much everybody celebrated.

An impromptu display of library picture books about rain, courtesy of my colleague Andrea



On the farm, we're glad to have wet dirt again, of course.  But even more important is the AIR:  it has actual oxygen in it again, instead of particulates from various fires.



It still looks dry but if feels wetter.  Whew.


A neighbor pinged me last Sunday to alert me to the fire that had sprung up nearby--eight miles away by road, but only 4 or 5 miles away by crow.  Too close!

Jim and I scurried around the farm, making sure the rig was packed with gear and ready to load and leave.  



Jim Creek Rd fire, photo by Snohomish County Fire District #21


Fortunately for us, the fire was close enough to the Jim Creek Radio Station (which supplies communications for US Navy vessels worldwide) that State and Federal agencies responded fast and threw all kinds of stuff at it.  

Sometimes it's advantageous to have a major nuclear strike target nearby.  This is one of those times.



Thursday:  the last breakfast in Mordor


In other news, we now have five cats.  What?  Yes.  FIVE CATS.

1.  Rumplecatskin, the first and most important.  House cat, lord of the couch and chair and bed.


Rumplecatskin shows off the new floor in the house (more about the floor in a sec)


2.   Emeralda Weatherwax, Polydact Barn Cat


Esmeralda guards the barn and gardens from intruders.  Also, she looks beautiful.



3.  (Pussin) Boots, herder of poultry

When Neighbor Dorothy moved to a memory care home, she asked us to 
take care of Boots.  How could we say no?  (We can't.  We didn't)




4.  Goblin, an unexpected pleasure

Goblin was probably dumped nearby, and was being inadvertently fed by Neighbor Dorothy.
When Boots moved in, she brought Goblin and Sinbad with her, and now we feed them all.



5.  Sinbad, a bit of a pirate


Sinbad did something awful to his tail and self-amputated part of it before we could catch him.  
We finally trapped him and hauled him to the local animal shelter for surgical treatment of his
piratical tail, as well as removal of his Manly Parts.  He'll come home to us when the stitches are out.




Haiku Farm photo dump:

The aforementioned new floors!


We hired a neighbor who does construction to bring his crew and replace the terrible carpet




I cannot overstate what a lousy idea it is to have carpet in a BATHROOM
Had to replace subflooring in there.  It was awful.




Carpet gone, and so is the giant tub we never used.  (Next up: paint!)




Neighbor Dorothy's children are selling off her hoard, which includes some excellent firewood.





With the weather so weird,  we got very little fruit from the orchard this year--
no cherries, no pears, very few plums and apples.  The animals got most of the damaged crop.




The pumpkins didn't get GINORMOUS, but we got some big ones.  We also got
a big crop of purple cauliflower and pepita squashes.





I planted a variety of butternut squash that should be small.  Some of these squashes didn't
get the "little" memo.  We harvested more than 50 of these--plenty for winter!




A bumper crop of beans--20 pints of canned green beans in the pantry,
and we're still hulling dried beans for soup.  We have about 2 pounds so far.



Looking forward to sunnier days:  Jim is assembling the greenhouse kit I bought as a celebration of the new job.  

We'll probably finish the doors and the roof tomorrow!


There, I think I'm caught up.  For a while, anyhow.

 




Comments

  1. 5 cats! I would love that. But we are traumatized from losing Mercer. I want your butternut squash. Two will do. Although we had no walnuts last year, this year was our bumper crop and we've got them all laying out on tarps in the attic. I've given away 5 buckets full so far! Sadly I cannot bring them in my luggage to share with my family. Several corn crops were completely lost to the lack of rain, and I had to water my walnut trees and bushes to save them. My grass even started to lose its greenness. There were a few weeks when I didn't have to mow. Cherries were in abundance, we couldn't even give them away, everyone had enough. I'm still harvesting tomatoes out of the green house, I'm finding creative ways to serve them. BLTs with bacon and onion, tomato salad with cheddar and balsamic, and I'm hoping the next harvest will go into gorgonzola tomato bisque. Ah, a gorgeous team just went by my window pulling a coach with 5 people in it, one white horse and one black, so fancy! I have to warn you, my greenhouse is a source of stress for me in our yearly storms, I have to go collect the panels regularly from our pasture and J is sick of putting the thing back together. If I could snap my fingers I'd turn it into a tool shed. Tonight I'm cooking a turkey thigh in the crock pot, I'm craving Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed "meeting" your kitties here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts