In which we have a new Reindeer in the driveway to pull the trailer

Finally:  I'm mobile again!


We were thrilled with our car salesman:  a half-Korean man
named "William."  He has a beautiful smile like our Will.


Wait, what? 

Didn't we just buy a truck recently?


Bye-bye, dastardly blue truck


We thought we were making good choices when we sold the original Illegible in 2016.  It had 320,000 miles on it, and the electrical systems were becoming untrustworthy.

Buying a newer truck with fewer miles on it seemed sensible.

And it would have been, if we hadn't bought a 2004 Ford with the notorious 6.0liter engine.


Not a good fit for us, in so many ways

We gave it a valiant try, but I am really, really not a Ford girl. I missed the Dodge truck!

When the blue truck broke down yet again after we delivered the piano to Waldron Island, I'd finally had enough.  I spent a day washing and vacuuming the thing, and put it on Craigslist.

And waited.  And waited.

And finally, it sold.

And then ...  I had no truck.

So I stole one.

(Well, I borrowed Duana's truck.  EVERYBODY borrows Duana's truck.  So that was okay.) 

And I went riding.

It has now pretty much rained every day since I took this photo


I wrangled a while with the credit union, and cruised autotrader and carguru and Craigslist and talked to people and did my research and shopped around.


Gas engine, not diesel



"lifted" so high that I would need a rope ladder to get in.



manual transmission, no thank you



Trailer plug held on with bungee cords and too much duct tape in the engine compartment



Untrustworthy dealer in a bad part of town




and finally...


I found a truck.

2001 Dodge quadcab.  Diesel, 4x4, no lift.



We've named this one "The Reindeer."  

We have a few modifications to make this week,

Drop the hitch down a notch so it will attach properly to the trailer


but soon I will be ready to hitch up The Reindeer and go for a ride.



Mandatory horse-related sticker applied


And that is Good.



Comments

  1. This is the most comprehensive car shopping blog I've seen. Thank you, I love it. I love cars. And trucks.

    You know I'm not allowed to like Fords or Dodges by my family. The only alternative, I enjoyed: Guenter. My Chevy 2500 crew cab left in Moses Lake on my last weekend in America, an endurance ride, and as I flew away forever (!) my parents had to go get my truck, broken almost to ride camp.

    No German believes me when I said, "I had a truck - it was 7.1 meters long (21 feet). No, no way. I relished switching from tenting it to just leaving my bedding under the canopy. It was J and my first weekend together, at the Renegade camp.

    And you know, I'm not allowed to pull a trailer here with any vehicle, no matter how small the trailer. Cuz Washington state does not specify trailer on our licenses.

    Well if no one believes me, I have photos: ) I love your new truck though, I hope it serves you as well as the last Dodge, and lets me in the passenger door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theoretically I love Chevy trucks, but Jim hates working on them. The alternative to Jim working on a truck is ME working on a truck...and voila! I am a Dodge Girl. :-)

      This truck is a "modest" 19.7 feet (6.02 meters) stem-to-stern (I didn't measure it, I looked it up), and it shifts in all the right places--like dancing with an old friend--or riding a familiar horse. The bed is a "short" box, 6.5 feet long, I wanted a longbed but this will be fine and it's a lot easier to park!

      There is always room for you in my truck. And room for your horse in my trailer, too.

      Delete
  2. Yay!!!!! A good year model too. So excited for you! A good trustworthy truck is worth so much tonpeace of mind and for adventures planning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts