In which my saddle has seen some long, hard miles and I meet a new friend

There's a natural friction point on the model of saddle I use.
After 13+ years and who-knows-how-many thousand miles, the wear was
becoming substantial.

...and, because I rode more than a thousand miles with busted-up hip joints,
the leather wear isn't even symmetrical!



I sent photos of the worn spots to Specialized this summer, and asked what they could do in the way of repairs.  After all, those skirting pieces are literally attached to the tree with five screws.  Surely they could send me replacement parts and I could install them myself?



Ahhhahahahaha.  No.



The Specialized Saddle Company has long been known for really terrible customer service. I definitely had a sub-optimal experience purchasing my saddle, only mitigated by a local saddle rep who ran interference between me and the company--and my experience was not unique, or even unusual.

Still, this was obviously a known issue for this saddle.  They must have a solution for it, right?

Yeah, no.  

Their solution was "send your saddle to Texas and we will try to figure out how to fix it in a month or two."  (Also, they claimed that they'd never seen this kind of wear on one of their saddles before, which is not even vaguely credible.)

Have I mentioned that, although I really like my saddle, I'm less enthused about this company?

What I really wanted was The Repair Shop, but alas, that isn't very local to me.


We love to watch this BBC show about repairing cool old stuff like pub signs and pocket watches--
they have a staff saddlemaker doing leather work, but (so far) we haven't seen her fix a saddle!




Fortunately, I am a librarian, and one of the things that librarians are really good at doing is figuring out where to look for answers.  

In this case, the place to look was The Bony Pony.



They opened their new store (same location, MUCH bigger store) in August 2020.


The women who run this tack store know everything and everyone.  When I said "I need saddle repair" they pulled out their 3-ring-binder-of-wisdom and found two local leather workers.  One lives closer to me, but is new to the business.  The other lives further away--almost to the Canadian border--but they were very familiar with her very good work.

And so, after contacting Marilyn in Everson to arrange a drop-off time, I loaded my faithful saddle into the car and drove north.


A pole building at the back of a dairy farm isn't nearly as quaint and picturesque
as the living history museum that houses The Repair Shop,
but indoors it smelled beautifully of leather and soap




My phone decided that I needed a "fish-eye lens" picture of Marilyn and her shop.
Because 2020, I guess.  I was trying to get a photo of the saddle stand she built on 
the hydraulic lift from a barber chair!


I don't know about y'all, but the pandemic has left me slightly starving for conversation with new people.  Marilyn has raised and competed with cattle dogs, she rides dressage (on a quarter horse!) and she's a very fun person (as well as being one of the only liberal Democrats living in north Whatcom County).  We talked and talked and talked.  

It was lovely.


The shop also features this extremely charming calico person



Did I mention that she got the repairs done in a week? 

And the total cost was only slightly more than the cost of postage to Texas and back?

And...


My saddle is beautiful again


She replaced the outer skirting (the underside is still in good condition) and installed new billets, and pronounced the saddle good for many more miles.


 

Comments

  1. How did she do it? That seems impossible!

    I had a drea last night I tried to make a friend. I failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did she repair it, you mean? She took the skirting off (5 screws/each side, that part is easy), undid the stitching holding the front to the back, clipped off the rivets holding the billets to remove those, and used the old pieces as a pattern on new leather. Then put it all back together.

      The process is straightforward, it's the workmanship that impresses me: it's basically perfect.

      I'm sorry your dream-friendship failed. I'm still your friend, but from wa-a-a-a-a-ay over here. When the pandemic ends, we will ride together.

      Delete
  2. Every time I think of the company vs the saddle, and I look over at the saddle I paid out the nose for and paid $100 for them to dye the wrong color, I get grumpy.

    I have to remember to separate my feelings about that insane, horrible, abusive company vs the saddle which I enjoy.

    I also have to remember that I took pictures of every single aspect of the saddle, and measurements, so that when the time comes (if I ever need to)I can just recreate my saddle from scratch and never have to deal with their insanity ever again.

    I'm really glad you found a great place <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, you know I've never seen that saddle of yours? Not even a photo. Post one?

      Delete
  3. Amazing craftsmanship! Sorry the original company isn’t so customer oriented, but glad you could get it fixed. Nothing can beat a comfy, fitting saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm absolutley amazed at how she turned your "should be retired" saddle into a like-new model. Hey, can she make me a new suede seat? Specialized wants way too much $ for one. In the future, do you think fleece stirrup covers would help protect the leather or would they be more bulk/moisture to damage it? That beta biothane is really hard on leather. I am disgusted that they had "never seen that type of damage" when they sell to endurance riders. phooey! My good riding instructor LOVES my saddle. Yup, it's a good one. And I've finally trained the beta leathers to twist properly after years of stiffness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re: suede seat, it's certainly worth asking! I am actually considering asking her to make me a new (purple, smooth-leather) seat, as mine is still functional but the purple has faded and isn't pretty (and I'm very vain about my gear). Shall I send her a note? I have a spare seat that I can give her as a pattern for mine, but I think your saddle is a 17"? Correct me if I have that wrong. You're right that SS wants wa-a-a-a-a-ay too much for it--$250? Crikey.

      The fleece stirrup covers make *me* a little crazy, too much bulk under my leg. But you could try it? I never had a problem with the leathers being too stiff, but my saddle is 10+ years older than yours, so it might be different.

      Delete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts