In which I acknowledge the inevitable: a new camera

 I've gone through a lot of cameras in 12 years of writing this blog.


Blueberry buds.  Macro setting in bright sunlight



There were new cameras in 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2017.  I've used my phone a lot lately, because the "new" (2017) camera was beginning to fail.


These are the 2017 (left) and 2014 (right)--I basically re-ordered the same
camera, because it had lasted longer than most others.


I do not deny that I am hard on cameras:  in my care, they get wet, they get dirty, they get dropped. 

Sometimes I'm extra-efficient and drop a camera into a muddy puddle, thereby delivering impact, dirt and water all at once.


That's why I chose the Olympus TG-6 "Tough" camera this time: the instruction book literally recommends cleaning this camera in a bucket of water!

It's like they know me.



But does it take good photos?

Here are some samples from the new camera's first week on the job:



Rumplecatskin. Indoors low-light, no flash



Floofs.  Overcast day, no shadows



Garden, yard, and barn.  Sunny day.



Garlic.  Bright light and messing with white balance here



Raspberry canes.  Macro setting



Trailhead.  Dappled sun



Trail.  Deliberate flare shooting into the sun



Dar on the longe line.  Indoor arena on a rainy day



Me and my Dragon.  Backlit








Ponying in the arena.  Rapid-fire




Everybody loves Mama.  Taken from the saddle



Impulsion.  Shot from across the arena, telephoto + cropped




Parade of riders.  Shot from a moving platform



Salmonberry flower.  Macro shot from the saddle, dappled light




Hana's canter.  Moving target, telephoto and cropped



Wiggly baby.  Close up with moving target



In step.  Cropped photo



Acupuncture for Dar.  Barn aisle



Mat Mountain.  Mud and rain



plus:  video!





Baby kisses.  In the barn aisle, straight out of the camera


"Take it places you don't dare take your cell phone" says the ad.

Well, okay then.  I guess I will.



Comments

  1. I've always preferred cameras over phone. Lost my last Sony, bought a Canon last year that I'm not happy with. Question: do you read over the manuals? Is that how you find out how to best do macro, white light, etc? Altho I download my manuals (I miss the printed ones) I just can't bring myself to pour thru it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an Olympus Tough about 5 years ago and LOVED it. Sadly, I lost it somewhere in West Virginia at a rest stop on a road trip. I plan to get a new one soon exactly because I can drop it from riding height and it will survive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts