In which a lack of purple is addressed, and we go back to the trails

The problem with freshly-painted walls is that 
they make the worn carpets in the room look worse.


So, too, with my saddle.

In December, I was thrilled that the worn skirting panels were replaced--beautifully--by a saddle maker up in Whatcom County.

However...

The purple seat was really showing wear, too!

The seat on this saddle is replaceable from the original company, for a mere $250.

My new friend the saddle maker says that's a fair price.  

I'm skeptical.  The same company charges $79 for replacement billet straps (which you have to install yourself, but they'll sell you the rivet tool for a mere $30, the same tool that my local hardware store sells for $15). 


Am I vain enough to pay big bucks for a prettier saddle seat, even though mine
is still perfectly useable?  Almost, but not quite.


 Also, my new friend the saddle maker charged me less than $200 to replace the billets and the skirting, (and she did all the work), so I figure that Specialized is probably over-charging for the seat.   

My saddle-maker friend suggested that I dye the old seat using leather upholstery dye.  Hooray!


4 coats of dye.  Still not quite purple enough.


Instead of spending $250 for a new seat, I spent less than $30 for an 8 ounce bottle of "plum" colored leather dye.



7 coats of dye, and two coats of leather balm:  lovely!


I still have plenty of dye left in the bottle, so I can put more on any time I think it needs a bit more purple.




It looks best when it's actually on the horse.



And this afternoon, the sun came out for the first time in a week.  


Spring is coming, at last.

 

More purple + more sunshine = more happiness.

Comments

  1. That looks great! I learned to dye leather in 4H and decided to turn my light tan boots a maroon color — I still remember how scary that first swipe of dye onto leather was, but they came out pretty good. I love colorful tack, and it all looks great on a Standardbred canvas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts