In which we've been on pins and needles for a long time: time to get jabbed!

We never want another year like 2020.

My parents got their vaccines almost 2 months ago, which was an enormous relief.  My brother, who volunteers as a crisis response volunteer, got his as well.  And Jim was finally eligible and got jabbed last week.

I try really hard to be a responsible citizen, and I absolutely didn't want to jump the line in front of people who would get sicker more readily than myself.  But still:  Monica and I were beginning to feel a bit whiney while we waited.

And then, a few days ago, I got a message from my wonderful next-door neighbor Jeff:

"Hey, do you want to get vaccinated?"


Oh, hell yes.


Jeff is a member of the Stillaguamish Tribe.  As a sovereign nation, the Stillys make their own choices and priorities for vaccination.  They jabbed their elders first, then the remainder of the enrolled members and close family members.  Then, they offered vaccine to every teacher in the Arlington School District.  (This is nothing short of amazing and wonderful and slightly miraculous).  



With a tribal member at the wheel of the vehicle, we were waved to the front of the line!


Now, the tribe is offering their vaccines to close associates of members--and they encourage their members to round up friends and neighbors for a jab.



We joked about how my hair would identify me as non-tribal (even though there are 
plenty of blonde tribal members, I've never met any with purple hair) until we met this
beautiful person handing out vaccine cards!



The atmosphere was almost like a party...or, I guess, like a powwow.  And because the tribe is basically a small town, you will always meet people you know while you're there.



Hi, Justin!  We met Justin when he was just a little kid--and now he's 
engaged to be married.  They grow up too quickly, I tell ya.


After waiting 15 minutes to make sure we didn't have a fatal anaphylactic episode, we jetted away for a tour of the tribal Natural Resources building.

Hi Jeff!  
Beautiful natural light in the building, and lovely people as well.



I am totally not kidding when I say that when they need a librarian they should call me.  I would work for this tribe in a heartbeat.

And then, it was time for tacos.  As you do. 


Taco truck = happiness



I found this cartoon.  






And this evening, full of optimism, with my left arm just a little sore and no other side-effects so far, I sent in my registration for this year's Cross State Ride.


It will be a little different than before, after some of the trail --
including some bridges and one whole town--
burned to the ground in forest fires last year.



It's a beautiful world, and almost time to go out and look at it again!  



Comments

Popular Posts