In which I make a great employment change and run away giggling

Well, it's been fun.

The Richmond Beach Library


I was part of the opening-day staff at the Richmond Beach Library in June 2001.  So many things have changed.  I have some amazing, wonderful friends here.

But another library system made me an offer I couldn't possibly refuse*, so I handed in my two-week notice and made preparations to leave.


(*shorter commute, more autonomy, better schedule, and a raise in pay!)


Friends came to bid me adieu on my last days



My colleague Rick and I held one final "al fresco" meeting at our favorite spot:  Dick's Drive In.



The masking mandate is lifted, and friends (vaxxed and boosted) celebrated at an outdoor venue



I packed up my puppets and my storytime books (my little car was stuffed to the gunnels with librarian-y tools) and moved to a new (to me) library!


The Art Deco-ish library was originally opened in 1934, with several weird
additions and remodels in the 1960's, the 1980's, and the 1990's.
This "stack of books" disguises the HVAC system.




I am now part of a small but enthusiastic Youth Services staff, which focuses attention on the literary needs of kiddos from cradle-to-college.  

Having just finished my first week with the new library, I can absolutely testify that I have landed on my feet.



One of my new duties:  feed the fish.  I had no idea that fish are so interesting!




The dogface pufferfish is the acknowledged favorite.  He (we don't know the actual gender)
is at least 17 years old--a veritable antique among aquarium fishes.  When we approach the
tank with the little plate of cocktail shrimp, he wiggles his fins like a puppy!


Elsewhere, the library is a hodgepodge of new and old library styles and furnishings, which makes me very happy.


Recent-ish interior remodel included opening up more space
in the children's section and the teen area


The former entrance to the children's area (on the lower floor of the building) is now
space for technical services and cataloging.  St. George & Dragon in the lower window.



"Of course we want to carry your books in our library," they told me.  So I brought in my last spare copy of Sex in the Library and dropped it on Richard's desk in Tech Services on my way into work yesterday morning.



Tech Services hosts the old built-in shelving and curved window-wall
from the former children's room.


Less than an hour later, I got an email from Richard:  the book had been added to the collection, and was headed for the public shelves.

The timeline for acquisition/cataloging/shipping at my old library would be described in
terms of months, not minutes.



I wandered up to the top floor on my lunch break later in the day, and there it was,
properly shelved for all the world to see (and read)  #proud 






Also upstairs is a unique feature of the Everett Library:  the Northwest Room, which
features books, maps, and other historical documents from our region.



There are dozens of little storage rooms and closets tucked into nooks and crannies of this weird old building.  


This curved room is climate controlled, and houses the archives of the Northwest Room.
The library also owns functional microfilm and microfiche readers, and 
used to house a working darkroom for archivists who needed photos of old documents.


There are at least five, and possibly more
than seven storage rooms for
children's program and craft materials




The main floor reading room features artwork and two-story-tall trees.





I definitely miss my friends from my former library, but I gotta say that the folks in Everett are making me feel very welcome.

Friends--old and new--got together on Friday night at a downtown Everett pub



And remember the part about the commute?  

Driving to my old job took a minimum of 60 minutes each direction on a day with no traffic.  (There is no such thing as a day with no traffic now).  But driving to Everett takes half the time.


Home before dark--and look who is waiting for me by the barn, calling for her dinner!





COMING SOON:  the garden update

 





Comments

  1. I've never been to the Everett Public Library but it looks wonderful! We've always gone to either the Mill Creek location or Snohomish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts