In which this has been a helluva year, but the year's almost over

 It was a year of losses.  It was a year of new beginnings.


I remember thinking "If only we can get through 2020, things will be less crazy."

So, that wasn't very accurate.  2021 was a challenge, and then came 2022....


2022 was a tough one.  

The big thing, the biggest thing, was my dad's death.  Typical Dad: he made it as easy on us as anybody could possibly wish, but seriously, it still sucks.  

North America Storms, the one and only


A month later:   I got a new job!  And I love it (still)!  


My first big project at the new library:
help start a new Seed Library!


A niece got married.  The other one is expecting her first child in a few weeks.


Alexis is due January 1!
My brother Randy with his daughter Cassidy


And one of the horse kids had her baby!

Gwenneth Elaine, daughter of Sirie and Josh.
We love you already.


I did the X-State Ride with the Dragon (again), we had a bumper crop of squash and sunflowers (again), we raised some turkeys (again).  


Monica's ability to make a turkey look almost beautiful
in photos is only slightly short of miraculous.


We somehow grew the farm population from two cats (Esmeralda barn cat + Rumplecatskin house cat) to five cats, including Sinbad.

Sinbad is something of a pirate, and also kind of a chonk.


Patty's mare Flower had another filly. 


Patty says Fable is a smarty-pants.



I'm surprised at how much I grieve the recent death of Lupin Goat Gruff, aka Grampa Goat.  He spent the last year training the younger goats to take over the task of being annoyingly under her feet at all times.

She always graciously allowed him to adore her.



Now it's almost the end of the year.  My enthusiasm for Christmas hasn't increased over the years despite living with the Jolly Old Elf Himself (tm).  


Santa Jim brings joy, even when long dark days don't


And, it's almost time for the annual Gift of Stories. 


If you are new to this tradition, the brief explanation is that instead of giving stuff to celebrate winter holidays, I hand out small booklets of stories--and I also post each of the stories here on the blog.  

The longer explanation is HERE

2009 stories begin HERE
2010 stories begin HERE 
2011 stories begin HERE  
2012 stories begin HERE 
2013 stories begin HERE
2014 stories begin HERE 
2015 stories begin HERE
2016 stories begin HERE
2017 stories begin HERE
2018 stories begin HERE
2019 stories begin HERE
2020 stories begin HERE
2021 stories begin HERE

If you live locally, find me and I'll hand you a printed copy.  If you're further away, check back here for a new story each day through the end of the year.


Not enough room in my mom's apartment for a tree, so she put fairy lights
on my dad's old trombone case.


Until we meet again, be kind, drive carefully, and save a cookie for me.




Comments

Popular Posts