In which I stay home and celebrate Independence Day without fires

I always look forward to spending time at the Renegade ridecamp over the 4th of July weekend..


But this year, I couldn't go.  


photo from 2019



I spent a few peaceful days at home, with periodic runs up to Bellingham to help out my folks, and even more frequent trips to the little bog-lake at the end of our road to cool off after working in the gardens.


Standing in the bog-lake, photo from 2020.


Independence Day is my least favorite holiday for so many reasons, even in non-pandemic times.  I don't like fireworks, and neither do the pets.  (Fiddle doesn't care about fireworks, and the goats take their cue from her).  It's been so very hot and dry, fire danger is very high.  We've never had temps like we had last week--not ever.  And it's still the beginning of summer.   >worried<


There is still one Renegade tradition that I can have at home: Gail Williams' potato salad.  She sent me the recipe via text, and I've made it several times now.  Soooo good.


I just happened to harvest a bunch of body-part potatoes yesterday!

Of course, the recipe is just a guideline.  I figured  I'd share with my variations for y'all.


Yukon Gold or Red potatoes, boiled.   I used fingerling (aka "body part") potatoes

2 hard-boiled eggs for each large potato  No shortage of eggs here, I added a bunch.

Chopped celery, about a stalk for each 3 potatoes  I usually have celery in the fridge, so that part was easy!

Finely chopped green onions to taste  I usually do not have green onions on hand, but how about some garlic scapes from Monica's garden?

Mayo to taste, with dry mustard mixed in.  The dry mustard is probably a "secret ingredient", and it really makes a big difference.

I also add some of Jim's pickles, chopped.  I like dill pickles in potato salad, but Jim's sweet pickles would also be good in this.

Sprinkle with paprika, serve cold.

If I ever write a cookbook, the title will be Whatever You've Got : cooking at Haiku Farm.



Comments

  1. If you write a cookbook, and you cal lit Whatever... you have to tribute the stories you've told me over the years. Stone soup........

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts