In which we tour the Haiku Farms gardens and we eat the stuff we grow


The pandemic lockdown last summer was good for one thing:


I had plenty of time to work in the gardens.



In fact, I had so much time last summer that I built a new garden in the space that used to be Goatenheim (the realm of goats).  



I began by moving the goats out, and moving chickens in, which created Haenaheim (the realm of chickens).  The chickens move to the Summer Palace when the weather warms up, and I use the Haenaheim space as a(nother) garden.  

Last year I planted beans in Haenaheim, this year it's all about the squashes.


Across the yard, we have perennials in the Berry Garden:



Blackcap and Red Raspberries


As we get further into summer, we are able to "grocery shop" more and more in the backyard.  Last night's frittata featured eggs from our hens, squash left from last year's garden, leeks from Patty's garden, and herbs from our gardens.  Dessert was cherries from Lynette and Byron's tree, and berries from the backyard.


It's summer days like this that help me get through February.

In non-farm news, we reopened my library to the public yesterday!!!


counting down the seconds to the moment
I can open the door!


We celebrated with food, of course.  

I picked blueberries before breakfast, and baked up a batch of scones to serve to the staff when I got to work.  Here's the recipe (adapted from an old edition of Cooks Illustrated Baking Book):


HOT OVEN, COLD BUTTER Cream Scones

Preheat oven to 425* F

2 cups flour (recipe calls for low-protein flour, I use 1.5 cups white bread flour and .5 cup stone ground whole wheat flour)

1 Tablespoon baking soda

3 Tablespoons sugar (I sometimes use a bit more sugar if the fruit I'm adding is very tart, or if I intend to use an egg-glaze instead of lemon icing. Use less sugar for a savory scone, but don't leave out all the sugar--it helps the scones to brown up nicely)

I add a teaspoon of cinnamon, powdered ginger, or grated lemon peel depending on the fruit I use. For savory additions, consider a bit of cayenne, or garlic powder...or whatever you have handy.

1/2 teaspoon salt

Whizz all this stuff a few pulses in a food processor.   Then, add

5 Tablespoons cold butter  (I keep the baking butter in the freezer, and then hack off chunks to toss in the food processor.  I also only use 4 Tablespoons butter because I add an egg at a later point)

Whizz all this together maybe 4-5 pulses.  There should be chunks of butter visible among the floury bits.  

Now, dump the floury mix into a big bowl and add:

1 cup heavy cream (I usually use half-and-half, reduce the amount to 3/4 cup, and add  an egg)

Mix as little as possible.  I aim for 20 spoon-strokes.

Form into a very rough ball, and dump the whole thing onto a very lightly-floured surface.  Press flat with your hand or a dough scraper, until it's a 3/4 to an inch thick disk.

Divide the disk into wedges, like cutting pizza, and transfer to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.


pizza-like wedges


Press 1/2 cup (ish) fresh or dried fruits into the wedges. (Blueberries are good.  Dried apricots are nice.  You can also use savory ingredients:  chunks of cheese, bits of chopped garlic scape, or whatever else you have handy)


If you mix the berries into the dough before pressing it flat, you get greyish dough.


Glaze with a bit of egg, if you want.

Bake 9-12 minutes.  



Blueberry scones are especially nice with lemon icing, but make sure they are REALLY COOL before putting on the icing.  Sigh.  Ask me how I know.  Warm runny icing makes a big mess.

LEMON ICING

Grate the peel from one lemon.  You can put some grated peel in the dough, if you remember to do it.

Juice the lemon you just de-peeled.  

Add the grated peel to the lemon juice, and stir in enough powdered sugar to get the consistency you want.  

Paint the icing onto cooled scones with a paint brush.


These don't keep well for more than a day or two, so serve them promptly, with tea, to somebody you love.


I picked the berries this morning and then baked up scones to take to my parents this afternoon.



Comments

Popular Posts