In which self defense can be unconventional (and still functional)

 The Musician and the Pirates (Japan)

A musician was travelling by sea when his ship was attacked by pirates.  

Having no skill at arms, he was quite unable to defend himself.  He was sure he would die. 

He climbed on top of the ship’s cabin and took out his hichiriki, his bamboo flute.  

He shouted to the pirates, “You pirates, hear me!  I am defenseless, as you can see.  You can take everything on my ship.  But before you kill me, I want you to hear my music.  I have practiced this piece for many years, and I want to perform it one time before I die.” 

The pirates agreed, and sat quietly to listen to the hichiriki music. 

The musician put the flute to his lips, knowing he would never play again.  

He wept as the beautiful sound of his music floated over the waves.

When the music was finished, the pirate leader declared, “we came to take your ship, but you gave us music.  We cannot harm you now!”


 

They rowed away in peace, and the musician continued his journey unharmed.


Comments

Popular Posts