In which the story isn't really about lions, (but you knew that)

The Lionmakers (India)

Four friends lived in the same small village.  Three had been scholars, and studied for many years.  The fourth had hardly studied at all, and had only common sense.  They decided to go together and see the world.

They had gone only a little way when they saw bones scattered on the path in front of them. The first scholar said, “From my studies, I identify these bones as the skeleton of a lion, and furthermore, I can put them back together as they were in life.” 

And he did this. 

The second scholar said, “From my studies, I know how to make the muscles and organs of a lion, and the skin also.  Furthermore, I can put those things onto the skeleton of the lion as they were in life.”  

And he did this.

 The third scholar said, “From my studies, I know how to breathe the breath of life back into the dead body of the lion.”  He bent down to do this, when the fourth member of the group stopped him.

“Wait!”  he said.  “Do you not understand that a live lion will kill us all?  You must not do this!”

 But the scholars insisted that they knew more than their un-scholarly friend.

 “Please wait then,” said the fourth, “while I climb a tree.” 

And he did this.

 The scholars continued with their actions, and breathed life back into the lion. 

The great creature came alive, sprang up and ate the three where they stood. 

 When the lion had gone, the fourth friend took himself and his common sense, and returned to his village. 

They say that his family lives there still.




Comments

Popular Posts