In which we "celebrate" the time change and look around at the spring farm

Friends have been posting photos of their horses surrounded by heaps of shedding-out hair for more than a month. 

But Fiddle always hangs back.  "It's not Spring in Canada yet!"


Shedding begins...slowly.


We've had some unpleasant weather recently, but if the Dragon is shedding, then winter is almost over.  

And yes:  the plants agree with her!


raspberry suckers from Fish Creek that I stuck in the ground last fall--sprouting



Elephant garlic  

I'm re-whomping Monica's garden this year, and you can see some of the changes at the right edge of the photo above.  

Basically, I'm taking out some of the chicken paraphernalia to make room to grow more beans for Pooh Bear.  That dog really loves green beans, and so do I...so if I want some for myself next year, I've gotta plant and can a lot of them. 



Seedlings in the orangerie

I have plants growing in nooks and crannies all over the farm.  Seeds usually start out in my office under grow lights.  Then they move out to the orangerie for a while to get used to colder temps without getting hammered by the weather.  

After a week or two there, they will move outside the greenhouse to a protected spot, and then they will get planted in their permanent location.

In the yard, things are budding.

At photo (left): flowering cherry tree



Early Gold pear tree is almost ready to bloom




Fox shows off the entryway.



From this angle, you can see more of the flowers by the front door



Up close:  the native huckleberry plants are about a week away from flowers



This forsythia is the child or grandchild of the Great Forsythia in front of the house.  

If you ever want some forsythia plants, just let me know.  Our plants throw out a few dozen children each year, and I'm running out of places to plant them.

And finally:

Grape hyacinth

I thought the squirrels had stolen all my hyacinth bulbs, but it looks like a few were able to escape depredation.  

Welcome, flowers!  It's almost Spring!



 

Comments

Popular Posts