In which I wander around with the camera to see what's blooming


While packing up stuff to go to camp for a week (!!!!) I realized that, despite a very winter-esque springtime, there really is stuff growing in the gardens and flowerbeds around Haiku Farm.

I took some pictures for y'all to look at while we're gone to the mountains.

 chives in bloom (above) and cilantro next to it (below)
 purple sage, green sage in bloom, and a few stalks of voluntary rhubarb.
 I would've predicted that the dill I planted (below) would HATE our exceptionally wet chilly spring weather, but it seems happy.
 Looks like I'll be having blueberries (below) in my oatmeal when I get home from camp!

 We didn't get a single grape from our vines last summer...because Twelve ate them all!  This year, I'll throw nets over the vines to keep that pesky chicken out!
 The tomato plants (above) are pathetic, as you might expect in a cold wet Spring.  We'll be lucky if we get anything more than cherry tomatoes from the garden this year, unless the weather changes dramatically in the next two months.  Sigh.  It's unlikely.
 The beans don't mind the weather, bless their little legume hearts.  Lisa didn't like to eat beans when she first arrived at the Farm, but she's changed her mind.  I guess somebody told her that beans are the favored vegetable of all the women in my family.   Gee, who could have said that?   Hmmm.
 Occasionally, poppies (above) appear in random places around the yard.  We've never planted them, but I think I will throw some poppy seeds out next year, because they're such cheerful flowers.
 I've always considered iris blooms to be lugubrious, especially compared to poppies, but the plants are co-habitating pretty nicely this year.
 Little pear pippins are appearing in the orchard.  The cherry trees seem to have some strange kind of leaf blight, which probably means no cherries this year (it also means I must visit the Master Gardeners when I get home so I can get some good advice from them!).
 More flowers....


...and of course, there are always a few weeds.


Have a great week, everyone!  

Comments

  1. Love that fuzzy bee butt in the chives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the bottom line is: What's blooming? Pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a GREAT time!
    preeeeeety blooming things...
    love the poppies, chives, dill, iris..okay love them all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts