In which the Cross-State ride report picks up the bits and brings it all home

A few photos got missed in earlier posts and deserve a little daylight.


Yes, that is a rattlesnake.  Yes, it is coiled and rattling.
Yes, I used my telephoto to take the picture.  No, it wasn't actually very far away.

My first attempt at using Susie's paint-from-the-saddle spray paint gun:
I got the bush, my horse's knee, and my own foot.

Before leaving on this trip, I worried about water for horses on the long days.
In the Palouse section of the trail, water was not in short supply.


Yes, it was beautiful.  Every single day, it was beautiful.

Ranchers will use whatever comes to hand in order to confine cattle.  This pen is made
from cross-pieces of power poles, with the insulating bars still attached.


Jim built an ingenious bunk for the back of the truck, and it was brilliant to have in camp.

Storage space for my dirty boots (left) and my clean clothes (in Rubbermaid tubs)


My mom tried out the bunk when she visited and called it "perfectly comfortable."
Note the nightstand near the head, complete with book and lantern.

Usually when I camp, my kitchen is complex, but on this trip I used a simple one-burner
stove on the tail of the truck to heat water for tea.  It was perfect.


I didn't get photos during the Rosalia parade because the horse in front of us was
being a nitwit and I didn't want to let go of the steering wheel. 
As it turned out, Fee walked out like a parade pro for the duration. 
This photo was taken before the parade, during the line-up.

Moving into our space in the parade line-up.  This is my last photo from the parade. 

After the parade, it was time to hit the trail.  The parade was a "make up" event, so that riders who missed a day
(as I did) could do the extra event and still qualify for the White Scarf completion award.  To get the
extra credit, we had to walk in the parade and then ride the 22 miles to Tekoa.

I rode this final stretch of trail with Rachel and her little Icelandic mare Skeifa. 
We let them move out at a good speed for about 2 miles: Skeifa galloping and Fiddle pacing.  It was fun!

The Dragon and Skeifa are now friends for life.

Last camp: more than knee-deep in grass at our last camping spot at Tekoa.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, tree, outdoor and nature
The White Scarf awards.  We worked hard for those little scraps of cloth!

Stopped at the Vantage rest area to let the truck cool out after the big uphill haul.

Stopped at the Ryegrass rest stop because I had to pee!

He said he didn't miss me much, but he didn't leave my side for at least 24 hours after I got home.

The garden didn't miss me either--three weeks of steady watering and no weeding
left a jungle!

The "after-weeding" picture of garden.

She could probably do the whole thing again tomorrow...but would really like to take a nap, first.

Thanks for sharing the adventure!  

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your adventure! This is on my bucket list for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey aarene, wake up, blog on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts