In which hunkering continues, the weather improves, and we grow stuff

The apartment complex where my parents live has lots of amenities, 
most of which are closed up right now because of the pandemic.  
The garden, however, is fully accessible (with social distance, of course).

Every year around Mother's Day, I tote buckets of
farm compost to add to Mom's garden


I haven't seen my folks since the world ended here in mid-March.  We chat frequently by phone and Zoom, and we celebrated my birthday online last month.  For Mother's Day, we (distantly) delivered compost and seedlings and lunch.  

It was nice.

I felt really lonely for about 3 days after that, but whatcha gonna do?

At home, we have much more time than usual to devote to gardening projects.  When I unearthed a "drip irrigation kit" that Jim had purchased several years ago, we tore it open and installed it!


I figured out where the irrigation tubes should go by using baling twine first.



Elsewhere on the Farm, things are sprouting, budding, and fruiting.



Teeny-tiny plums on Pickles' tree



I need to cull some apple pippins soon, we have too many on this tree!




Peas and potatoes



Cucumbers will trellis up some cast-iron bedframes this year.



The broccoli needs to be weeded about an hour after it gets weeded.



photo bumble-bombers



We'll have garlic scapes with dinner this week!




the beginnings of raspberries


I planted wa-a-a-a-a-ay too many tomato seeds, and grew wa-a-a-a-a-a-ay too many seedlings.


Megan and Patrick visited to drop off some homemade goodies and take home a bunch of seedlings.  Trading home-cured bacon for a bunch of tomato plants?  One of my best swaps ever!


(They live in the same house, no mask needed for close contact)


I took the rest of the seedlings over to Fish Creek Farm.


The tomato equivalent of a bookmobile



We look like garden burglars



While I was there, I wanted to get some photos of Patty's "baby" horses.


2-year-old Steady was very cooperative for his photo


Flower's baby is due any minute.  Really, any minute.  Any time now, Flower.

She is so ready not to be pregnant anymore


Getting photos of yearling Lace was more challenging.



Little Lace with big ol' Uncle Dar the Photobombing King.



I finally gave up and took photos of Dar's nose.



Thanks for helping, Dar.



And then, a few days later, I went riding, which should not be a surprise.


Blue sky!  I'm not tired of that.



The trail was wet/muddy in places.  I was happy to have my surefooted mare.



The official name of this stretch is the "Fast Trail" but I always think of it as "George's Trail"
because the late George Brown used to mow it down every year.


It's still not a vacation, but we're doing okay.  Hope y'all are okay too!

Comments

  1. Steady is such a great, self-fulfilling name for a horse. The opposite of Princess, but she turned out great. You asked about my garden and I must be honest - everything is doing fine EXCEPT for the zucchini, which looks like it's struggling.

    Also J asks if it's the Ever-Yellow State again, cuz that's how we've seen it on our last visits. Like, the lawns are almost white unless you water them. I'm watering here almost every day! We've had almost no rain since Feb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do try to name creatures so that a self-fufilling prophecy won't be catastrophic. Steady's dad is "Rock", so the little boy will be registered FCF Rock Steady. And it is an excellent name for an endurance pony.

      Everything here is green-green-green. We've had bouts of clear blue skies, but longer stretches of grey rain, including a week of heavy rain in early May. And winter was very wet this year--good for snowpack/electricity prices, as well as setting us up for a (hopefully) less horrible fire season!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts