In which time moves slowly, except out in the vegetable gardens

Lockdown continues to be boring.  That's not a bad thing.  
"Excitement" during lockdown is something to avoid.


Aside from a few short shifts at an actual library (!!!!) I've pretty much been hanging out at home.

Fortunately, I'm not alone here.  And it's hard to be bored on a farm.


The corn is knee-high by 4th of July...and beyond




I pick berries every morning on my way back to the house after barn chores.
These will be garnished with oatmeal for breakfast.



I grew dill from seed for the first time in these buckets,
which are tied to the fence near the bean garden, formerly Haenaheim.




Speaking of beans, they are growing like crazy now. 
The hummingbirds (unsuccessfully) try to chase me away
from "their" red bean flowers.  We will begin harvesting early beans next week.



The "Tomato Curse" is going strong--we have had plenty of rain so far
this summer. So far I haven't killed any tomato plants.




I swear I culled apples on this tree in early spring, but you really can't tell





Raspberries are my new favorite garden plant.  We will be planting a bunch
more this fall, because I can't get enough of them




This pear tree is rather dainty, but the crop this year looks good




My first-ever crop of garlic, currently drying inside the greenhouse.




Today's harvest:  74 pounds of potatoes!  
The "fingerling" potatoes are now called "dingaling" potatoes, thanks to
my friend Julia.  They don't look like fingers.




Combine "dingaling" potatoes and garlic with some olive oil and fresh rosemary,
and roast in the oven for about 40 minutes.  Trust me.


Of course, I don't have to stay on the farm all the time.  Some days, I go riding.



The Dragon is a nice companion for exploring new trails




Riding partners are hard to find right now, but Ellen (front) and Catherine (rear)
and I like to hang out an ride on Fridays.



We haven't seen any bears so far this year.  There's a big red-tail hawk
in the tree above Fee's ears in this photo.



With only about 4 days of steady sunshine, the forest is
starting to dry out already.  But we've had lots of rain, I promise!




After riding, it's naptime.  This is the "deflated Macy's balloon" pose.  
When she sleeps flat-out, the Dragon snores like a trucker.




Comments

  1. Every time I roast potatoes in the oven, my family picks at them disconsolately like I've created some new, awful way of ruining their favorite food. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pro tip: roast them in the oven. The next day, fry the leftovers with bacon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts