In which we run away fast and bring treasure back with us to the Farm

Jim had a wedding gig booked for the ocean, and he invited me (and Foxie Loxie) along for the ride.   Oh, heck yes. 


On his second trip to the beach, Fox is much more confident about what to do there


Jim got dressed up and made sure the people got married

Yes, those chairs are too close together, also there were too many people and not enough masks


...and I ran away with my dog to the beach!

Recreating during a pandemic: these people are doing it correctly



We had perfect weather, and the water was lovely


Once your toes get numb, it feels great!







All the beach horses were content to nap in the sun...except one.  There's always one.


It was a quick trip--a little too quick.  We didn't have time for an important Ocean Vacation Tradition:


CLAM CHOWDER.

However, I am not without resources.

A quick detour was all I needed to get clams (I like oysters also, but this was a CLAM task)



When we got home, Jim got busy with the clams--in the smoker!


Razor clams smoked in apple wood



While the clams smoked, I prepped the vital accessory: 

Whole wheat sourdough bread with pepitas.  The recipe is HERE.



When the bread was done, so were the clams.  Time to make chowder, the Haiku Farm way:


All Smoke and No Fire Clam Chowder

Ingredients:
Broth - I made broth from a smoked chicken.  You can also use canned chicken or veggie broth, or water, or whatever you have.

Clams - I cut the smoked clams into little chunks with a pair of kitchen scissors.

Vegetables - I included corn, carrots, potatoes, an unripe butternut squash, celery, garlic, dill weed, and thyme.  Then I found some chanterelle mushrooms that Jim had cooked in the smoker, and dumped those in, too!  Use whatever you have handy--fresh vegetables are excellent, but canned or frozen will work.  

Bacon - if you have some.  I had no bacon!  Oh, well.

Cream/half-and-half.
 

"secret" ingredient:  butternut squash.  I didn't have any ripe butternuts,
so I put in a little unripe squash instead.



To make it:  
Put the broth (or water, or whatever) into a big pot or crock pot.  If you like thick, chewy chowder, don't put in much broth.  If you like soupy chowder, use more broth.

Dump in clams. 

Sautee the garlic (and onions if you have them, I didn't have any) with the carrots in some butter or bacon grease, and then add that.

Chop the vegetables the way you like them, and add them.  Add herbs now, or right before serving.

Turn the heat on low and walk away for at least an hour.  Stir it when you remember.

Twenty minutes or so before serving, add the cream/half-and-half, and allow to come up to temperature.  If you haven't put herbs in already, do it now.

Share with friends, served with fresh bread and butter.













Comments

  1. My mom has to send me canned clams in my yearly Christmas package because you cannot buy clams in Germany of any kind. Thankfully even canned clams can make a good clam chowder - my recipe is very similar to yours. Low-carb, super rich. To stretch out the clams, I try to also put white fish and mussels in if I can find them (last time I paid over 1 euro PER MUSSEL at a fish store and said never again!).

    The heartbreaking part is that my huband isn't into seafood, least of all "fish soup." In case you missed it my avatar on YouTube is me on the ferry scarfing down Ivar's clam chowder. Or, liquid gold based on the $ they want for a bowl!

    In the 90s I fell in love with an Ocean Shores Arabian horse named Bini. I always asked for him and they let me do whatever I wanted, racing up and down dunes on a private ride with my X. That horse and I were one being, I've never bonded so instantly with a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dangit Aarene I have been away for so long I forgot the difference between mussels and scallops. I mean I forgot the words. Cuz in German scallops are called Jacobs Muscheln (mussels). I meant to say I add scallops to my soup when I can find them, but it's been years since I have besides that one fish shop that charged so much. Apparently it's Spanish food week at Aldi and I was able to find frozen mussels and I bought some. They're probably horrible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts