In which we go socially distant camping and please my inner child




In the Before Times, Jim and I spent a lot of summertime camping
with friends and horses.  We like to explore new places, build
trails, hang out away from work and home, and cook crazy meals
on campstoves to share with our friends.


We still like those things, but with the various quarantines and lockdowns they haven't been happening.

Finally, Catherine sent out a note:  "let's go up to Silver Ridge Ranch mid-week and hang out distantly!"

Oh, hell yes.



Kachess Lake: warm and not-too-deep

Normally we prefer dispersed-camping in wilderness areas, but this isn't the year for that.  Okay then.  I visited this camp in 2010 for a poker ride, fully intending to return and ride there again.  I kinda meant to go back sooner than this, but here we are, 10 years later.



Our new friend Joan knows the trails and showed us the route to the lake.




The trail map isn't as useful as you might think, as all the trail-marking "diamonds" have
faded to a pinkish-orange shade.  Better to rely on a basic GPS, a few landmarks, and 
a bit of nose-following!



With temps in the high 90's and low 100's (!!!!!) we rode in the evenings

Sunset on the powerline trail




Jim shot this sunset photo with his new camera


and the mornings


Joan's mule Buckshot tromped right out into the water



speckled shade on most of the trails



Then, in the afternoons, we left the animals snoozing in the shade of camp



Fiddle is not interested in a nap.  She wants to hang out with Rae (and Rae's hay bag).




The Haiku Farm floofs stayed home, but Sammy tagged along for the trip with Catherine



Fee also thought that Buckshot's hay looked pretty interesting.



...and drove over to the lake to throw ourselves in.

The water felt so good.



Our new friend Alex joined us for a few days.  She grew up riding but doesn't currently own any horses, so Catherine loaned her some saddle time on Taba.

I am envious of people who are comfortable riding bareback.  I started
riding too late in life to get there...also, Fee's shark-fin withers are NOT comfortable!



Fee was very intrigued by Alex


The next morning, we did something I've always wanted to do:




The Mermaids and the Water Dragons.  Jim stayed on shore to shoot pix.


This was truly one of the coolest things I have done in my life.  Fiddle is totally cool with walking into the water, we've been riding into the Stillaguamish River for yonks. 

However, we've never done the thing where we are both swimming.  And she just wasn't sure about that at first.  She kept looking at me, "this is a good idea?"  and then deciding that she would give it a try.  From out in the water, Catherine's mustangs looked like bumboats next to Fiddle the Ocean Liner!

 

I look around myself these days, and I count my blessings:  

I'm living on a farm with a garden that would make my grandfather proud (his vegetable garden was EPIC), with my very own horse in the backyard, a funny little dog at my feet, Santa in the chair opposite, Monica out in the yard building more dragons for a downtown art exhibit



my parents are well, my brother is well, I still have a job through the lockdown, and it isn't sn*wing.



my life is good


13-year-old Me would be so pleased with my life choices.







Comments

  1. This looks like a perfectly blissful getaway, particularly the swimming part. Great photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew from your first Fiddle-ears photo where you were, cuz I took my good mare into that lake as well. Not swimming though! The only time I've swam with a horse was when I took Baasha into the deep end of the Cedar River. I was on his back though. It's weird, the noises they make when they're actually swimming. Staying at that ranch was unforgettable. Did you ride on the air strip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *knew* you'd recognize it! We did ride on the air strip...well, around the edges of it. It was pretty-well flagged to keep feet off the middle bit where they land planes. The landing lights were illuminated every night, even though they weren't using it, which I thought was strange.

      Riding/swimming with my horse: a bucket-list item for me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts