In which the doubting game isn't as much fun as I can make it look

Of all the skills endurance riders gain through the sport,
I get consistently top marks in
the ability to doubt my own judgement.


FOR EXAMPLE:

Last Sunday, the plan was to ride two loops with a "vet check" in the middle, for a total of 25 miles.  Not necessarily fast, but steady.

The problem:  we both ran out of givadamn after riding about 15 miles in the rain.

Screen capture of the GPS track, the deets are HERE.
Basically: 17 miles in 3 and a half hours, which is average for us in training


In the ever-fascinating game of Doubt Myself, I came up with the following:

  • What if she's not yet recovered from the stifle injury last year?
  • What if the spring grass (and we have a lot of it) is making her feet sore?
  • What if the spring grass (see above) is giving her a bellyache?
  • What if she's colicky?
  • What if she's got some new undiagnosed injury that I'm too stupid to see?
  • What if she's gorked herself in this stupid weather?
  • What if she's is teetering on the edge of imminent death, and if I ride one more mile she'll keel over?


This wonderful game would be no fun if I didn't run around wildly in the other direction:


  • At her chiro/re-check appointment 2 weeks ago "Doctor Dear"  called Fiddle SOUND.  
Biggify for deets.  Vet comment :
"Fiddle jogged out sound on hard ground...really good!"

  • Fee DID have a bit of gas colic on Friday afternoon, which was quickly resolved by a few belly lifts (followed by an enormous fart)
  • She is now on limited grass until the sugars slow down
  • My Dragon gets bored on trail alone, so I've been trying to meet up with other riders as often as possible
  • Riding in the rain really does get old...and cold...and kinda miserable
  • It's been a week and she hasn't keeled over dead yet.

GAHHHHHHHHH.



Not dead yet.  Not even pining for the fjords.


And then there was this:





We're going to try a long ride again tomorrow, if the weather doesn't completely collapse around our ears.

Zoombutt...when she chooses it

Wish us luck!

Comments

  1. Uggg, I am a master of the Doubting Game as well... no fun! Have a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I did the same thing yesterday! Do his feet hurt, is something wrong? To test my hypothesis: Turn for home...zoom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excellent at this skill, too. Shar is constantly accusing me of overthinking things. But yes. I do this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular posts from this blog

In which we go to Canada for another dose of Sensible

In which we meet up with golden friends and explore the Cowboy Camp trails

In which the sky is fixed and then broken and now it's been fixed again