In which we can't avoid December, and we activate Coping Skills

The month began with sad stuff, as December often does.
It's really my least favorite time of year.


It's possible to survive the Big Dark.  I have strategies, and I'm going to share a few of them.

1.  RIDE

The trails are sloppy and horrible from more than a month of heavy rainfall.  I'm not complaining about the rain--we need it.  BUT there's no need to risk tendon injuries by slopping around out there.  

I've been heading over to Fish Creek Farm to take lessons from Dory (under the roof!  A covered arena is a godsend!) for the last few weeks.

Clear skies and sunshine = COLD.  But pretty!
  
We've mostly been working on my (lack of) cantering skills on borrowed horses, but I really want to ride MY horse too, so today's lesson was all about posture and balance and riding without my reins at the trot.  My (artificial) hip joints are capable of so much more than my hip flexor tendons will allow, so we work a lot on increasing mobility there. 

A strenuous workout is an excellent Coping Skill in December.

Here's another:

2.  Sit

I haven't felt like writing anything lately, but December is an excellent time to sit in a comfortable chair and read, so I've been doing a lot of that. 

Alternative backup cat

I really miss having Puzzle asleep on my lap (or, more often, my head) while I read, but Foxie Loxie has been a Tremendous Comfort the last few days, settling down onto my lap or my feet whenever I sit or lie down for more than a moment.


3.  Appreciate

Jim brought a festively wrapped package to my chair.  From...California?  Yes!

A surprise package!  From Funder!

We weren't up to doing the whole tree thing this year, but Monica had this charming ornament display rack that she built for an art festival...and it makes an outstanding place for bright shiny objects and a few sentimental pieces.

Mostly horses, a few birds and dogs...and a Dragon


4.  Do my job

I don't talk about my job much on this blog, but I must say:  most days I get paid to do fun stuff that makes the world a better place. 

A writing exercise with a fun group of middle school students


5.  Eat, Drink, and be as merry as possible under the circumstances


Yellow onion and carrots sauteed in bacon fat, added to butternut squash, corn and yam,
pureed with cream and served with a dollop of finely minced ginger

December is an excellent time for culinary adventures. 

Soup made using only orange ingredients?   Okay! 


Homebrew  beer with local hops and a tiny bit of spruce to add a citrus element?  Why not?

Jim and Monica have been crafting this batch of beer since late summer

7 days down.  24 days to go.  Sigh.

We can do this.



Comments

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts