In which we're trying something(s) new, and sorta keeping track of changes

I admit:  I am not a scientist.

I know how to follow scientific method, I know how to change and chart variables. I know how to draw conclusions from experiments.

I just don't do it.

Baseline photo, taken on/around January 15, 2018.


Although the Purina Horse Feed Trial Challenge lays out the process for proving for yourself that their feed is superior to whatever else you've been feeding, I didn't follow the directions.

I did read the directions.  Well, I skimmed the directions.  Well, I printed out the directions, and left the pages on the backseat of the car, where the dogs could wipe their muddy paws off.

I didn't follow the directions.

In my defense, suddenly feeds changes are trouble, and I know that.  Instead, I've been gradually phasing in changes.  Not merely one change, though.  Just one variable gets lonely, right?

What I was feeding per day:
pasture forage (low-quality in winter, but enough to keep her gut motility going), 20-ish lbs of local hay, a small flake of E. Washington hay, 2 cups beet pulp (measured dry but fed after soaking), about a pound of Ultium, and a scoop of Vitamin E/Selenium supplement, a cup of flax seed (ground),  2 oz salt, and the occasional trespasser.

(It seems really complicated when I write it all down like that!)


Based on some science that the vet over at Fish Creek Farm has done recently, I've gradually phased out the Vit E/Selenium product I was using, and changed over to a different brand.

And, based on some recommendations from Susan Garlinghouse, I've started adding a bit of alfalfa to Fiddle's daily ration.

AND  then Susan G. started talking about a new product called Outlast, which is now being added to Ultium as a product called Ultium Gastric Care.  Since research has shown that most (maybe all) horses have ulcers at some point in their lives, and most (maybe all) horses who trailer long distances and compete in hard work have ulcers that can make working uncomfortable, it seems like a reasonable change to make.

Now I'm feeding:
pasture forage, 20-ish lbs of local hay, a small flake of E. Washington hay, a small flake of alfalfa, 2 cups beet pulp (measured dry but fed after soaking), about a pound of UltiumGC and a scoop of LMF Supplement A, a cup of flax seed (ground) and 2 oz salt, and the occasional trespasser.


So there, we are:  a bunch of variable changes, done gradually over a 2+ week period.  Not exactly science.  But, what the hell.

In a recent email, Purina told me that in the next 15 days (as a result of the change to Ultium GC), I should expect to see:
  • Difference in hair coat condition
  • Boost in overall bloom and health
  • Continued optimal intake due to palatability
They promise even more pronounced changes over 90 days.

So. Science?

Probably not.  In 90 days it will be Spring, and with springtime comes stuff like the beginnings of a soft, sleek, summer coat, a bit more fitness, and generally happier demeanor due to increased light in the sky.  "Optimal uptake" is never a problem.  I could feed this horse cardboard and she would snarfle it down promptly.


Photo taken about 15 days into the "change".  So far: she's a bit fatter and a bit fluffier.
So am I.  Sigh.  Winter is difficult. 

Purina has sent me some coupons for feed purchase, and I'll use those, definitely.  And I'll take photos.  And I'll report back here.

But I'm not gonna pretend it's science.

Comments

Popular Posts