In which Crystal visits and we ride ponies and don't completely freeze

It hasn't sn*wed for more than a week, and the dratted stuff will not go away.

The roads are safe(ish) to drive on,
but taking a combination rig to an iced-in trail head is a bad idea.

 I do enjoy reading, of course.  I'm a librarian.

But seriously, there is a limit to the number of hours I want to spend in my chair,

Even with a nice warm cat on my lap (and the pages), I don't want to spend my whole day here.

So with Crystal returned to town after her deployment, it's just the kind of excuse I need to get out of the house


First: breakfast at the Stilly, featuring a cinnamon roll the size of Crystal's face

and then, over to Fish Creek to ride.

Duana went to Mexico and forget to take me, so I stole her horse (again).

Ariana and Flower got some arena time, too.

Crystal and Ariana

Patty and Flower

Crystal always wants to learn more.  

Patty gives Crystal some pointers.  Ariana is a lovely lesson pony.


Crystal is one of those self-taught riders with lovely light hands and a nice seat.  Yeah, I'm jealous.




We rode for a while, and then swapped ponies.  It's been years since I've ridden Flower.  She's learned a lot since then!  

It turns out that while Patty and Flower are extremely good at shoulder-in movements, they are not terribly good at haunches-in movements.  However, Fiddle and I are totally good at haunches, but we aren't good at shoulders.  It was great for me to practice shoulders with Flower, and work on her haunches with her.  

Next time we're all in the arena, Patty will get to climb aboard the Dragon and practice haunches and teach her some shoulders!

Finally:  Rick ("Mr Crystal") managed to dodge the camera almost all day.  Until Matilda took action, that is.

Rick has the "Matilda Seal of Approval."

At the end of riding in the cold, it's good to come back inside, eat a cookie, and sit in a comfortable chair by the fire.

So that's where I am now.

And that is good.

Comments

Popular Posts