In which we still aren't lame and we still aren't dead and the sun shines on us

After viewing the video in my last post, my farrier sent a note via Facebook:
 Wow - she does look NICE and sound, though. Solidly, completely, stunningly sound. Love it!

So, I went riding.

26 miles in about 5 and a half hours, including a stop at 14 miles for beetpulp (Fiddle) and a sandwich (me).
Deets are HERE.

And neither of us died.  So, that's a good thing.  Here are a few photos from the trail:

Early morning light on the trail

Fee and I left the trailhead around 8:30am--pretty early for a training ride.  Instead of the grey skies and intermittent gloom overhead that we experienced last Sunday, there was blue and sun.  Makes a huge difference for this horse and rider team!


Suspects du jour:  Eleni, Duana, Patty, and Kitty


At the end of a 14 mile loop, we returned to the trailhead and met up with the Usual Suspects.  They were WALKING:  Flower has just started pre-pregnancy hormone treatments, and Eleni has never ridden Hana on trails, and Du and Freya are using the WALKING opportunity to practice communication.

Kitty and Mac joined us for a while so we could catch up on socializing, then they split off to zoom around some hills.



Mid-day sunshine

We walked with the group as far as the "Cone Tree"--a landmark at the 5-mile point.  Then they went back to the trailers (with a bit of a detour?) and Fiddle and I took off downhill to add another 5 miles to our day.

I wanted to push us both a bit with this ride--it's the longest we've gone since my second hip surgery and her injury last winter.  In 2016 we did plenty of riding, but I only did one competition:  a 25-miler on a borrowed gaited horse.  I needed to know if we could still "do the thing."

Back at the trailer:  a bath

Apparently, yeah.  We can still do the thing.

At the end of 26 miles, Fiddle and I continue not to be lame or dead (and not imminently dead, either) so we went to lunch:  her in the trailer, and me with the Suspects at our favorite Thai restaurant.

Riding:  it makes life better   GOOD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In which the days wane and I'm looking for new imaginary friends

In which we return to Santa Camp, and there are many jolly folk

In which it's NaNoWriMo, and I'm writing a murder mystery