In which Santa Jim builds a special toy just for the Cross-State Trail Ride

Santa Jim has been busy!

I leave for the Cross-State ride next week!

I knew that I didn't want to put up and tear down a tent every night during the Cross-State ride.


Two bulkheads and the bottom braces


  Our tent is comfy, but it's a lot of bother for one person for one night--and we move almost every morning, so I'd be constantly messing with it.  No, thank you.


Another angle on step 1--notice the cutout for the wheel well.




I *could* sleep in the back of the trailer, which is also pretty comfy


Install the other bulkheads, trying to make everything square.


There are at least two days that we will have to portage horses inside the trailers, which would mean special set-up and break down of the bed to make room for the Dragon.  Nope, nope, nope. 


Top angle, step 2.


That leaves the back of the truck, which we've camped in during cold weather for years. 


Step 2, side view


The only drawback to that is that it's hard to get dressed in tights when you are balanced on the mattress!


Steps 3 and 4: top braces and bed-board installed. 
It took a lot of trimming/fitting to get this to work.

A bunk in the back of the truck seems to be the perfect solution.



Close-up of the joints

Jim took pictures of the whole process.


Testing the bed with mattress.  Fox says it's okay.



Re-assembling inside the truck

When I get home from the ride and need to use the truck for stuff like hauling gravel, 

See?  It fits over the wheel!

we can pull out the bunk and take it apart. 

Adding bulkheads

The entire stack of pieces is about 2" thick! 


Everything lines up!

Final bulkhead + top braces

The "square up persuasion device"

The bed board is the last piece

Lots of storage underneath.  

I bought the mattress online.  It's about 4" thick!

I'll take more pictures this weekend when I get the bed all made up, and the storage boxes in place. 

I'm getting excited for the trip!!!!!


Comments

  1. Great blog post, showing all the steps! I love it. I don't get how you'll get horse and rig across the state, though.

    I used to have a similar camping mat, and I felt as if I was in a real bed!

    There was nothing as great as going from tenting to NOT tenting. And when my horses started running through their paddocks in the middle of the night, it became even more convenient. Highline.

    I'm so happy for you that you get this luxury bed on your journey. Not a drop of rain will fall on you at night! Your canopy seems to be much higher than mine was. I used to think I needed an over-truck camper but the transition from tent to canopy was so amazing, I dismissed the idea. And hung out in Brandi Miller's camper in the rain.: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very clever, I like how it only uses part of the bed, so you can put your feet down and get dressed! I always camp at events in the back of my truck, but just a comfy foldable mattress. I did make curtains for the back of my truck: industrial velcro on the truck and matching part on the curtain (old cut and hemmed sheet). Can't wait to see your rolling home all decked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a folding cot in the back of my truck (with a truck tent, which would still be a hassle for portaging) or in the back of my trailer. I like this idea though! What handy engineering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and design! Loved seeing it come together :) Have fun at the ride!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts