In which my butt cheeks are finally covered...and it isn't raining

It's true, I finally made up my mind, and ordered a riding jacket to cover up my frigid gluteous maximus!   I decided on the Muddy Creek Short Coat.  Cost was about $100, and shipping was fast-fast-fast. 
Sisters in wickednes?  They'll never know which of us is the real culprit.
 "My" jacket arrived in the mail about a week ago; I've worn in it a couple of times, but until yesterday the rain did not fall when I was in the saddle.
This photo taken at the Hallowe'en Ride yesterday, when it DID rain.
 It just didn't rain while we were taking this picture.
There was, however, a problem with "my" jacket: 

Although I followed the ordering instructions on the website, the "size medium" jacket they sent me was...roooooooomy.   Like, roomy enough to fit me inside the jacket with Pickles zipped up there with me, and Fiddle's head too, with enough room left over that I could stash my camera in the inside pocket.

I cinched the drawstring waist up so tightly that the string dangled perilously and had to be double-knotted.  Hmmm.
The size medium jacket fits Patty correctly
Patty tried on the size medium jacket and decided that it fit her properly:  roomy enough to allow her to add warm fleecy layers in cold weather, without giving her so much room that she could park the truck inside at night.

So, she ordered the size "small" jacket, and when it arrived, we traded.  Now we both have beautiful jackets that keep the rain off and cover our hindquarters!
WARNING: the horizontal reflective stripe will IMMEDIATELY
alert your instructor if you are collapsing your ribcage,
dropping your shoulder, or scrunching your hip. 
If you want to disguise these bad habits, take the coat off!
At the insistance of the Best Crewperson on the Planet, we (and anyone else in the group who purchases this jacket) will be adding some sort of distinguishing mark to each garment, so that the BCotP can fetch the correct jacket when we all come flying into a vetcheck needing our rain coats!  I'm wondering if I can get a skull and crossed bones embroidered on the collar.  Hmm.

Patty demonstrates a full range of motion,
un-impeded by the rain coat
 Out on the trail for the first time with both of us properly protected, the sun came out. 
What is that bright light ahead?  I'm thinking: aliens.
 Ahhhh, another virtue of this jacket:  two-way zippers allow you to pull it off your shoulders without having to take it all the way off.
Patty cautions that if you dismount while your jacket is thus arranged on your body,
it will fall down around your knees and hogtie you in a most undignified manner. 
I didn't ask, but that sure sounds like the voice of experience.
 A light sprinkle of precipitation gave us an excuse to pull up the hoods.
The hood is adjustable so it will cover your helmet when you're wearing one.
You can make the hood smaller when you aren't helmeted, so you can see out.
I noticed that the hood keeps in a bunch of body heat.  I always ride with a synthetic helmet liner; else I sunburn in summer through the helmet vent holes, and I lose too much body heat in winter.  The addition of the hood made me feel much warmer very quickly.
I'm almost ready.  Let winter begin!

(but not the sn*w, obviously.  I'm ready, not masochistic.)

Comments

  1. I tried the Medium over a dress shirt and it fit...OK. I might go large to ensure room over a couple layers of bulk.

    Also, I think this is the most clothing that I've seen Skivvies wear, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks jim for commenting - now i know a med might fit me too.

    i am interested in this jacket cuz after my helly hanson failure i haven't gotten around to buying a rain coat.

    aarene, did you test its water resistance, or its water proofness?

    i'd like to know how it fares in a downpour, or light rain for at least 2 hours.

    let me know, christmas is coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the medium fit Cowboy Jim over the dress shirt, but if he wants to add some fleece or wool layers under it during cold weather, a size large is better.

    I wore the jacket in about 2 hours of rain (moderate)during the poker ride on Saturday, and I was warm and dry. I haven't had the opportunity to test it in "firehose-esque rain" yet, but I'm sure my chance is coming...

    ReplyDelete
  4. please blog it when you do test it in a downpour.

    btw, did you order your saddle from Lost Juniper in Idaho?

    they seem to be the source of the bootie style pads, the SS dealers i've talked to do not have them.

    why am i saddle shopping? i don't even have a horse to put it on!

    i really like your saddle for the balanced seat, the weight (light), and i wanted my next saddle to have booties cuz that is just so cool to be able to free up a horse's spine completely! (except for the rump rug)

    getting an SS to germany is the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just saw this on mugly and wanted to be sure you did too:

    I gotta tell you about the Walkers, though– I have three, and if I line them up from ‘boxiest’ to ‘typiest’, I end up also lining them up from ‘best mind’ to ‘most nuts’. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or if their head shape really does connect to their attitude. If that shoebox head is required in order to get a horse that is calm, gentle, loving, and intelligent, then I’ll bridle my Nike Air head every day with a smile on my face.

    linda tellington-jones theorizes that facial characteristics correlate with temperament too. i never bought into all of it, but maybe some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughed so hard about the reflective strip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great coat! Looks comfy and useful, too. I love that you can wear the hood over the helmet and then adjust it for use without a helmet! Brilliant!

    I have been looking for a new jacket for riding and every day use, too. But we have severe winds during the winter...not so much rain. That comes in the summertime and I can wear a light poncho then.
    But for winter I could use a jacket that is windproof and useful in cold temps and roomy enough for layers.
    I am also almost 6' tall and have trouble finding jackets that cover my hiney.

    Questions for you!
    I wear a size 16/18 in women's sizes. With your recent experience, what size do you think I should order for the Muddy Creek short coat?

    And, do you think this coat is a great coat for bitter cold windy weather?

    Thanks so much for your coat review! I'm glad you found one that works so well.
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts