In which we continue with rehab and we combat global warming

Not all of the days have been sunny and warm lately, 
but many of them have been.

I had a meeting this afternoon so I got up early
to hit the trails with Fiddle before leaving for town.

We Swamplanders are not accustomed to all the blue sky overhead. We get giddy.  We need less coffee, we need less sleep. We spend more time outdoors, choosing to skip lunch in favor of walking around and admiring everything in bloom.  

55 minutes, mostly walking.  Here's the LINK to our track.

But some of us have not forgotten last Summer, and the terrible wildfires that devastated our Swamp while the rain didn't fall.  

This winter brought record rainfall, which we welcome...but the Spring has been a little too bright and cheery for comfort.

Spanish moss on the trees attest to the dampness of the air in winter,
but the trail underfoot is already completely dry.  And it's only May....

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I've decided to invoke the Tomato Curse.

Science has conclusively shown that whenever I plant tomatoes,
it rains all summer.

Because I'd really like to see SOME sunshine this summer, I got Jim to plant half of the tomatoes in the garden.  I planted the rest.

Will this mitigate the Curse?  Will this anger the Weather Gods?  

Stay tuned, I guess.

Patty plants tomato seeds, and then gifts all the Usual Suspects
with lots of seedlings!

It started raining about 45 minutes after we set the last tomato plants into the soil.  

A good start, right?


And then today:

Sunshine again

Either way (rain?  or tomatoes?) I guess I win!



Comments

  1. Hey Aarene,

    I've been reading your blog for a long time now, just never commented. I'm currently in a horsey conundrum - I have moved and left my horse to be my mother's new ride. The more I read your blog, the more and more I have gotten interested in endurance riding.... As you guys are into long distances (haha), I was wondering if you knew anyone based out of Utah who may need an extra rider? Maybe a shot in the dark, but you seem to know the endurance community inside out!
    Thanks,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, and welcome to my favorite addiction!

      There's a "mentors" page on AERC, you might look there. ALSO, do check out the North America Endurance Green Beans group on Facebook. It's not just Beans who hang out there, I see plenty of experienced riders also. And the rules of kindness are STRICTLY enforced on that page!

      Finally, check the AERC calendar page and find a ride where you can go and VOLUNTEER. Volunteering is the best-ever way to learn the sport and meet the people.

      Let me know how it goes, okay?

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I hope you know if this goes well, it's all your fault....

      Delete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts