In which questions are asked, and some of them are even answered, sorta.

1. How old were you when you first started riding? plastic spring-y pony, age 3. zoo pony, about the same time.

2. First horse ridden: Dixie, a black-bay mare of unknown age and uncertain parentage. She belonged to my friend Carrie's family, and I thought she was beautiful.


3. First horse trotted on: Dixie


4. First horse cantered on: Dixie

5. First Horse fallen off of: Dixie. Yes, all on the same day.

6. Most recent horse fallen off of: Fiddle. My fault, not paying attention, no excuses. Fell right into some nice (oof) comfy (yow!) blackberry bushes. Last winter.


7. Most terrifying fall: that rolling-down-the-sand-hill thing with the Toad, maybe 7-8 years ago...everyone unhurt, but I thought for sure he'd broken my brand new saddle (it was fine).

8. First horse jumped with: what, on purpose? Midnight, I think.

9. First horse who ran away with you: Toad. Don't ask how many times. I lost track.
10. First horse that scared the crap out of you: Toad.

11. First horse shown : shown what? >g<


12. First horse to win a class with: oooooh, a horse show. Um, Fiddle and I did pretty well at an obstacle course class a few years ago...the other horses in the class were afraid of the rope thing, so we had a good time, compared with those 'fraidy cats.

13. Do you/have you taken lessons: as often as possible
14. First horse you ever rode bareback: Bo, I think. She got too pregnant to wear the saddle anymore....


15. First horse trail ridden with: Midnight or Tonka, probably.


16. Current Barn name: "She who cleans and brings food"

17. Do you ride English or western?: I ride "far."

18. First Horse to place at a show with: Fiddle, sorta. It wasn't a very show-y show, it was a game day for off-the-track Standardbreds. We had fun, though.

19. Ever been to horse camp?: yeah!

20. Ever been to a riding clinic? yup.
21. Ridden sidesaddle? bareback in the pasture, being silly.

22. First horse borrowed: Beware



23. Last Horse borrowed: Toad
24. Highest ribbon in a show: what is this show fixation? peh.

25. Ever been to an 'A' rated show?: peh peh peh.

26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races?: yes! these are fun!

27. Ever fallen off at an event: almost, but not yet. Well, there was that time at the Prineville 50-miler, when Story stumbled and I came off when she rolled...I don't think that should count, though.
28. Do you ride Hunter/Jumpers?: not if I can help it. I'm a chicken.



29. Have you ever barrel raced? well, I've gone around barrels on a pacing standardbred. "Scamper" doesn't lose any sleep over our not-exactly-breakneck speed.

30. Ever done pole bending?: bent and broke those suckers. not really. yes, I've gone around poles, but not very fast.



31. Favorite gait: cantelope and cricket-stomp (these are special STB gaits--you gotta ride 'em to recognize 'em)

32. Ever cantered bareback?: yeah!

33. Have you ever done dressage?: I have attempted to improve my dressage technique. The "Dressage Queen" crown will always be elusive, I fear.

34. Have you ever evented?: not intentionally.
35. Have you ever mucked a stall?: I currently hold a 3rd degree black belt in stall cleaning!

36. Ever been bucked off?: Yup. Lost count of those. Not lately, though.
37. Ever been on a horse that reared? Yup. Not often. Whew.

38. Horses or ponies. horses.

39. Do you wear a helmet?: Every ride, every time. Current helmet is purple with reflective flames.


40. What's the highest you've jumped: try not to think about it

41. Have you ever ridden at night?: often.
42. Do you watch horsey television shows?: if somebody records them for me.
43. Have you ever been seriously hurt/injured from a fall?: thus far, I have escaped serious injury >knocking wood<

44. Most falls in one lesson: one

45. Do you ride in an arena/ring?: sometimes

46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse?: no
47. Have you ever been bitten?: no
48. Ever had your foot stepped on by a horse?: often


49: Favorite riding moments:
sunshine. Story. top of the hill. bliss.
Fiddle. Collected trot. Wow!
Toad. Finish Line of Mt Adams 100-miler. Whew.

50. Most fun horse you've ridden: Fiddle!



UPDATE:

I didn't write this to scare people, but judging from some of your email responses, my answers seem rather...um...intense.

The list of questions came from another blog--a lot of horse blogs have this particular list lately--and the only thing that generally strikes me when I read other peoples' answers is that most people seem to spend a lot more time at horse shows than I do!

Other than that, my answers about falling off and getting my feet stepped on are actually kind of average for horse people. I don't enjoy falling or getting squashed, and I try to avoid that stuff, but gravity happens a lot when you spend time with large silly animals.

Most of the time, the fun is worth the pain. Ain't that true of everything worthwhile?

Back to farm news soon : We are just about to install a GATE--wahoooooo!

Comments

  1. Not fall off? What about mile 74 of the 75 at HOTR a couple years back?

    Really, though, compared to Eventers, who fall off three or four times during warmups, your falling off experience is sub-par. I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops, yeah, forgot about that fall at HOTR. Nice slow fall, nice soft dirt landing.

    It hardly counts, though, because nobody saw it except the Toad and a bunch of (scary) cows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH...I love your answer to "Do you ride english or western?"
    ~ I Ride Far~I

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts