In which we continue fence building, trim trees, and have Korean Food Night


We are determined to keep Mimsy from visiting the neighbors, especially via the road. It's just too scary to call a dog and have her take 5 minutes to wander back from wherever her nose has led her. Luna rarely goes more than three feet from me, but Mimsy has a sense of adventure that needs to be curbed in the presence of traffic.

Criminy, chicken wire is a lot more expensive than I remember from previous adventures. We salvaged a bunch of wire and some posts from the chicken pen built by the former owners, and I made a quick-but-expensive stop at Lowe's this morning. The dog fence is almost finished now--we've got all the materials we need for now, except a 12-foot gate. I'll be haunting Craigslist and Freecycle this week, for sure.
While I was building fences, Jim and Willy got out the Implements of Destruction and had serious discussions with some of the fruit trees. Although most of the pear trees were loppable using hand tools, the apple tree at the top of the orchard took some serious chainsawry. That formerly sucker-rambunctious tree has been tremendously chastened now...but the tree next to it seems to grow more suckers every time we cut one off of any other tree in the herd. Was orchard-tending one of the Labors of Hercules? It should have been, if it wasn't.

Sunday is once-again Korean Food Night! Tonight Willy cooked bi bim myun (noodles, with chopped cucumber and scrambled egg, and a spicy sauce), djang aji (pickled radish, peppers, and carrots in a savory sauce--the radish is decoratively cut and quite crunchy) and leftover dan jooji (bright yellow pickled radishes).


If the noodles get out of control, it's okay to use scissors. I'm so glad they told me this.



I learned a new phrase that I'm sure I will use a lot:
"Chal mogosoyo" = "I have eaten very well!"

Comments

  1. Oh dear, I've forgotten what that popular Korean pickled cabbage is called. Hot, very hot! Hot and sour I love. Sweet and sour, ewwww.

    I was at a party recently when someone asked me "Is it true that American food tastes terrible?" and everyone laughed. I laughed too. Traditional American food is basically the same stuff we have in Germany. Meat, starch, veggies, all in their own distinct spots on your plate. Back home, I ate different types of ethnic food almost every day (mostly in restaurants, but you can make Japanese, Indian, or Thai curries at home too, the stuff you need is at the grocery store). I think that where we're from, we eat traditional American food while camping, potlucking, or picknicking. A normal meal? Stop by the Pho Soup place. Drive to Rainier Valley for Ethiopian. Thai take out. AZTECA. (*drool*)

    I was amused that on our East Coast tour last summer, we saw so many ethnic restaurants, but only two types. Chinese and Italian. That pretty much sums up most German neighborhoods too. I really don't like either Chinese or Italian food.

    In the big city of Wuppertal, we had two Indian restaurants. We were lucky! Who knows what we'll find here, but I bet the closer we drive to Koeln (Cologne), the more variety we'll find. Korean? I doubt it very much.

    This is a short article I found hilarious, cuz it's so true.

    http://nothingforungood.com/2008/07/09/false-friends-curry-curry/

    They like to put curry in their stroganoff, but really, it just makes it yellow. Happily, there is a popular ketchup (Heinz) called "Curry Ketchup" that is truly wonderful on wurst, potatoes, eggs, whatever. I have to bring some back to my family this summer, they love it too: )

    And I'm learning to cook deutsch. I have a German cookbook and I follow the recipes *exactly* (where's the garlic?) and have have enjoyed some traditional meals.

    BTW, nice new domain name!
    p.s No more cruel ethnic food photos, please: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwa ha ha ha, every week, more food pictures! France is not that far from you: you can find ethnic if you really want it. Also Belgium--my friend Will is always posting amazing high-fat/hi-cal food photos on FB for me to drool, and he lives in Brussels.

    I think you're thinking of kim chee. There's a big jar of it in the fridge right now. C'mon over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To err is human. To be anonymous is not.

Popular Posts